Friday 4 March 2016

Tallow From The Other Side

I am a massive supporter of cruelty-free cosmetics, and will only allow myself to use brands that are cruelty free. Animal testing in particular is not a thing that I understand. In my head, if a consultation with a customer went like this;
Shop Assistant: So that's our best selling cream
Customer: Oh, okay, will I get a reaction from it?
Shop Assistant: Well, I rubbed a bit on a bunny, and it worked out fine, so you're good!

I would be incredibly worried. I don't find rubbing things on animals comforting. I believe in human tested cosmetics, it's more reliable, more ethical, and a darn sight more fair. For years, The Body Shop has been known to support animal rights and campaign against animal testing. It was a brilliant and highly ethical brand. That was, until it was bought by a parent company, L'Oreal, who do infact test on animals, and contribute to animal testing. Up to this point, The Body Shop still did not test, it was just owned by a company that did. Slightly forgivable to some, until recently...


Photo credit to: Alessandro Commisso.

In Brazil, The Body Shop have recently taken over a small cosmetics brand called, EmpĆ³rio Body Store. Meaning they are no selling this soap, containing Sodium Tallowate - Animal Fat.

Turns out this lucky four leaf clover soap is only lucky if you're a human. Sorry animals, you don't get luck from The Body Shop.

If you really want to be cruelty free, then do your research, there's lots of resources available to find out what brands do and don't test. This is not vegans or vegetarians 'shoving their lifestyle down your throat' before you start, because I'm neither. I simply believe in animal rights.

The following video is fantastic, as Emma talks about a list of non-cruelty free brands that you maybe thought where: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoCdwrPUu2I

No comments:

Post a Comment